Yippee! Today marks FOUR YEARS since my very first post here at The Lyon' s Tale, wherein I celebrated my writerly weirdness.
IT'S PARTY TIME!!!
But first . . .
A lot much has happened in four years. A smattering:
- Four of my seven novels were published.
- I got two teenagers. (And an ulcer. Connected? You decide.)
- I got my own gorgeous office with built-in bookcases made by my husband.
- I won Utah's Best of State medal for fiction.
- The Whitney Awards were created. My suggestion for naming the award was picked. ("Whitney" in honor of apostle Orson F. Whitney, who envisioned an amazing future for LDS literature).
- I was a Whitney finalist, then a member of the committee, and this year got to present a Lifetime Achievement Award to Gerald Lund.
- (Speaking of which, be sure to nominate your favorite books by LDS writers . . . and that includes national books. A title needs five nominations to be official. Get nominating!)
- The Teen Writers Conference was born, which I've been part of since its inception.
- I broke my nose.
- I used elements from that experience in my next two books.
- Two daughters hurt their wrists w/in about 48 hours of one another: one sprained, the other broken. With their red hair, I was immediately identified by the Urgent Care NP. "Weren't you just here with another daughter with a similar injury?"(I am a fit mother. I SWEAR.)
- Husband and I took a trip to visit my parents in my other homeland, Finland, where they were presiding over the temple. You can read all about the trip HERE.
- I was asked to write a COOKBOOK, of all things. Lesson: You never know where writing opportunities will come from. Keep doors open. (And watch shelves in October!)
- I joined Facebook (with both a personal page and an author page).
- I joined Twitter (@Lyonstale).
- At the
pesteringrequest of many, many people, I created my grammar book.
- Most recently, I got my very first book available for readers once again, currently on the Kindle. (Can I hear a woot, woot?!)
Now for the celebration, in THREE parts (each part will have MULTIPLE winners!):
1) A random drawing for prizes.
2) An easy trivia contest. (I give obvious hints, so there's no excuse to NOT find the answers.)
3) A mini writing contest.
THE PRIZES, THE PRIZES!!!
Kim is generously donating a delicious Canadian chocolate pack to one winner. (That alone is worth entering, no? Oh, yeah.)
2) Eyes Like Mine
A signed copy of Julie Wright's latest novel, a recent Whitney Award finalist.
3) All the Stars in Heaven
A signed copy of Michele Paige Holmes's latest, also a Whitney finalist this year. (Her previous book won the Whitney for Best Romance. She has yet to publish a book that isn't at least a
4) Alma the Younger
A signed copy of the newest release by 2-time Whitney winner H. B. Moore.
5) A Spiral-bound Notebook and a Pen
The notebook has a totally cool cover (a blueish/grayish door with a brass doorknob and lock). Quote on the front says: Unlock your mind: read. Winner also gets a pen to go with the notebook. It has cute polka dots and the words: Don't bug me; I'm writing.
6) A Mouse Pad
Features a stack of books and the famous Groucho Marx quote: "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
7) A T-shirt
White, with a row of cute houses on it and a quote below them: "A house without books is like a room without windows."
8) A custom piece of jewelry from Bangles, Beads, N' Bobbles.
Visit their Facebook page or Etsy shop to get an idea of the fun stuff to choose from. Since the winner's prize will be created custom-made, they'll have to plan on about 2 weeks so Sandra, the brain behind the magic, can make the piece and ship it.
9) Finding Rose
A signed copy of Stephanie Humphrey's debut romance novel from Walnut Springs.
Enter THREE ways:
1) Comment, then spread the word, if you want to. (THREE RANDOM WINNERS.)
One comment will enter you. Get additional entries by spreading the word. (You know the drill: tweet it, blog about it, put it in your FB status, yada yada. Then let me know what you've done, and you'll get extra entries for each item. Blog posts linking back to this one are worth two entries, all the other fun stuff is worth one extra each.)
2) Answer the five trivia questions below. (THREE RANDOM WINNERS.)
Send your answers to ANNETTE at ANNETTELYON dot COM. DO NOT put your answers in the comments. I promise, they're EASY:
Five Trivia Questions (all answers can be found here on my blog):1) What month of the year did I begin Word Nerd Wednesday? (Hint: Look for the "Word Nerdiversary" post.)2) When (month and year) was Lost Without You first published? (Hint: Look at a recent post.)3) What was the title of the first book I began to write (but never finished)? (Hint: The VERY FIRST post with from the Writing Journey series. They're labeled.)4) What cosmetic do I almost never leave the house without? (Hint: #76.)5) List the other SIX members of my critique group There are seven of us, but don't list me. (Hint: Sidebar)AGAIN: DO NOT put the answers into the comments. E-mail them to me.
3) Enter my mini writing contest. THREE winners will be awarded from the entries, which will be judged by a super-secret but totally awesome panel.
The rules: write a short-short story of 250 words or fewer (word count will be enforced), with either the opening or closing sentence being:
In hindsight, it wasn't such a good idea.
Send your story (fiction or non-fiction) via e-mail: ANNETTE at ANNETTELYON dot com with the story IN THE BODY OF THE MESSAGE. (No attachments. Maximum of two stories per person.)
Winning stories will be posted here, so by entering, you're granting The Lyon's Tale that right.
DEADLINE for stories: Wednesday, July 28.
(That's a week from the date of this post.)
TO SUM UP:
-THREE PRIZES for comments and spreading the love.
-THREE PRIZES for those who correctly answer ridiculously easy trivia questions.
-THREE PRIZES for mini story winners.
That's NINE awesome prizes you have a shot at winning!
Winners will be announced Friday, July 30.
Ready, set, go!
You broke your nose? Holy cow!
And count me in.
What a list!
I'd love to take part.
What a list!
I'd love to take part.
Sounds like fun! Sign me up!!
(And you've had quite a four years...)
I don't want to think about how lame my last four years seem in comparison... I will however think about what kind of custom jewelry I love the most.
A story though? I think most of my life experiences could end with that quote~!!!
Congratulations on your blogiversary! Here's to many more!
Fun, fun! What great prizes. I'm glad that most of the things that have happened to you on that list are positive. I'm glad your first book is available again. It's so good! Okay, I'm going to put this on Facebook and Twitter, and I'll post it on my blog, probably tomorrow. Congratulations!
Yay! I'm in! What a list you've got there. The glorious writer's life, eh?
You are an inspiration! I'm proud to know you!
Wow, you have had a busy 4 years!
Happy Blogivesary! Awesome prizes!
That's a lot of accomplishments crammed into 4 years! Congratulations.
You've done a lot in the past 4 years. That is so awesome.
Happy Blogiversary Annette! You've come a long way, baby. (Remember that first critique group meeting...need I say more?) Love ya!
Happy blogoversary! I love your blog! (I know, I haven't been around but that doesn't change the fact that I love your blog!) In fact, I think this calls for a poem!
The Lyon's Tale
is a wonderful place!
Visiting here brings
a smile to my face. =D
has become an obsession
it keeps me sane
in this writing profession!
The only thing better
than Lyon books on the shelf
is getting to know
Annette Lyon, herself!
Happy Blogoversary! Hooray!
I cannnot WAIT for your cookbook! I love a good contest. Count me in!
Fun contest, Annette! I'm Tweeting it right now. Happy Blogiversary!
L.T.'s poem made me laugh AND get sniffly. A hearty amen to that.
It's been so amazing to get to know you over the years. You're an amazing woman and I'm grateful for the positive influence you've had on me. Truly, you're fabulous dahling!
You're on Kindle?! That's smokin! :)
I enjoyed (and cringed) reading your highlights from the last 4 years.
Sign me up! I've posted your contest on the side-bar of my blog.
Congratulations on all of your many accomplishments Annette. I am now craving chocolate because I read this post (and I'm kind of on a diet!) Anyway, I'm kind of interested in reading Julie Wright's novel. I met her briefly at the conference. . .
Happy four year blogiversary! The list of things you have accomplished since then is just amazing.
Congrats on 4-years! I'd love to be entered in your drawing. :)
I am hereby commenting on your blogiversary post and I'd like to further state that I mentioned your delightful giveaway over at my equally-delightful blog.
Love ya lots, Annette!
I blogged about your giveaway on my book blog
I soooo want that t-shirt! I'm in!
You forgot to put on your list that you were in Utah Valley Magazine recently...
And Taffy, thanks for mentioning the UV Mag thing--it was recent enough it slipped my mind, but was definitely a moment to remember.
$ years. That is some blogging commitment there.
I am totally in to win.
I posted your contest here:
Congrats on four great years!
Congratulations for the four years!
So happy you have found the blogging world :) !! Congrats on four years!
Tweeted about it!
Facebook status has been updated!
Oh! I want a broken nose! Then I'd have an excuse for the crick in mine (although mine is not the right direction. . .) What an eventful 4 years. May your next four have fewer broken things and as many successes!
I'm updating my fb status.
(and I'll give an address in the US WHEN I win. :)
Love it! THanks!
Congratulations on your anniversary! woot woot!
Do you have any idea how hard it is to write that short of a story? I don't know how well it will be, but my little teen brain will work towards it, and I will go after it!
Wait? I didn't comment. Yes, I'm a guy. Yes, I want to win. And you know what, the books will just go to my wife.
Yay! Commented. Now on to advertise and do the other two fun things.
It took me way too long, but I finally posted information about the contest on my blog.
I love contests even though I don't usually win.
Congrats on all your success!
(It is still Friday on the West coast!) Congrats and keep up the good blogging!
Post a Comment