Yippee! Today marks FOUR YEARS since my very first post here at The Lyon' s Tale, wherein I celebrated my writerly weirdness.
IT'S PARTY TIME!!!
But first . . .
A lot much has happened in four years. A smattering:
- Four of my seven novels were published.
- I got two teenagers. (And an ulcer. Connected? You decide.)
- I got my own gorgeous office with built-in bookcases made by my husband.
- I won Utah's Best of State medal for fiction.
- The Whitney Awards were created. My suggestion for naming the award was picked. ("Whitney" in honor of apostle Orson F. Whitney, who envisioned an amazing future for LDS literature).
- I was a Whitney finalist, then a member of the committee, and this year got to present a Lifetime Achievement Award to Gerald Lund.
- (Speaking of which, be sure to nominate your favorite books by LDS writers . . . and that includes national books. A title needs five nominations to be official. Get nominating!)
- The Teen Writers Conference was born, which I've been part of since its inception.
- I broke my nose.
- I used elements from that experience in my next two books.
- Two daughters hurt their wrists w/in about 48 hours of one another: one sprained, the other broken. With their red hair, I was immediately identified by the Urgent Care NP. "Weren't you just here with another daughter with a similar injury?"(I am a fit mother. I SWEAR.)
- Husband and I took a trip to visit my parents in my other homeland, Finland, where they were presiding over the temple. You can read all about the trip HERE.
- I was asked to write a COOKBOOK, of all things. Lesson: You never know where writing opportunities will come from. Keep doors open. (And watch shelves in October!)
- I joined Facebook (with both a personal page and an author page).
- I joined Twitter (@Lyonstale).
- At the
pesteringrequest of many, many people, I created my grammar book.
- Most recently, I got my very first book available for readers once again, currently on the Kindle. (Can I hear a woot, woot?!)
Now for the celebration, in THREE parts (each part will have MULTIPLE winners!):
1) A random drawing for prizes.
2) An easy trivia contest. (I give obvious hints, so there's no excuse to NOT find the answers.)
3) A mini writing contest.
THE PRIZES, THE PRIZES!!!
Kim is generously donating a delicious Canadian chocolate pack to one winner. (That alone is worth entering, no? Oh, yeah.)
2) Eyes Like Mine
A signed copy of Julie Wright's latest novel, a recent Whitney Award finalist.
3) All the Stars in Heaven
A signed copy of Michele Paige Holmes's latest, also a Whitney finalist this year. (Her previous book won the Whitney for Best Romance. She has yet to publish a book that isn't at least a
4) Alma the Younger
A signed copy of the newest release by 2-time Whitney winner H. B. Moore.
5) A Spiral-bound Notebook and a Pen
The notebook has a totally cool cover (a blueish/grayish door with a brass doorknob and lock). Quote on the front says: Unlock your mind: read. Winner also gets a pen to go with the notebook. It has cute polka dots and the words: Don't bug me; I'm writing.
6) A Mouse Pad
Features a stack of books and the famous Groucho Marx quote: "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
7) A T-shirt
White, with a row of cute houses on it and a quote below them: "A house without books is like a room without windows."
8) A custom piece of jewelry from Bangles, Beads, N' Bobbles.
Visit their Facebook page or Etsy shop to get an idea of the fun stuff to choose from. Since the winner's prize will be created custom-made, they'll have to plan on about 2 weeks so Sandra, the brain behind the magic, can make the piece and ship it.
9) Finding Rose
A signed copy of Stephanie Humphrey's debut romance novel from Walnut Springs.
Enter THREE ways:
1) Comment, then spread the word, if you want to. (THREE RANDOM WINNERS.)
One comment will enter you. Get additional entries by spreading the word. (You know the drill: tweet it, blog about it, put it in your FB status, yada yada. Then let me know what you've done, and you'll get extra entries for each item. Blog posts linking back to this one are worth two entries, all the other fun stuff is worth one extra each.)
2) Answer the five trivia questions below. (THREE RANDOM WINNERS.)
Send your answers to ANNETTE at ANNETTELYON dot COM. DO NOT put your answers in the comments. I promise, they're EASY:
Five Trivia Questions (all answers can be found here on my blog):1) What month of the year did I begin Word Nerd Wednesday? (Hint: Look for the "Word Nerdiversary" post.)2) When (month and year) was Lost Without You first published? (Hint: Look at a recent post.)3) What was the title of the first book I began to write (but never finished)? (Hint: The VERY FIRST post with from the Writing Journey series. They're labeled.)4) What cosmetic do I almost never leave the house without? (Hint: #76.)5) List the other SIX members of my critique group There are seven of us, but don't list me. (Hint: Sidebar)AGAIN: DO NOT put the answers into the comments. E-mail them to me.
3) Enter my mini writing contest. THREE winners will be awarded from the entries, which will be judged by a super-secret but totally awesome panel.
The rules: write a short-short story of 250 words or fewer (word count will be enforced), with either the opening or closing sentence being:
In hindsight, it wasn't such a good idea.
Send your story (fiction or non-fiction) via e-mail: ANNETTE at ANNETTELYON dot com with the story IN THE BODY OF THE MESSAGE. (No attachments. Maximum of two stories per person.)
Winning stories will be posted here, so by entering, you're granting The Lyon's Tale that right.
DEADLINE for stories: Wednesday, July 28.
(That's a week from the date of this post.)
TO SUM UP:
-THREE PRIZES for comments and spreading the love.
-THREE PRIZES for those who correctly answer ridiculously easy trivia questions.
-THREE PRIZES for mini story winners.
That's NINE awesome prizes you have a shot at winning!
Winners will be announced Friday, July 30.
Ready, set, go!